Friday, June 18, 2010

Leavin' on a Jet Plane

It is 11:13pm, and I just finished packing for my first international mission trip. I am torn between two very distinct emotions. I am excited about this trip, the experiences I will have and the ministry I will get to be a part of. However, I hate being away from my family, not just dislike...hate. I miss my wife and son during regular work days. I can't imagine what it is going to be like when I am half a continent away. Right now, the missing my family emotion is stronger than my excitement about going.

Tomorrow, my wife will drop me off and I will get on a plane with a team of people from Open Door to fly to El Salvador. She doesn't know this, but I'm planning on hugging her and singing "Leavin' on a Jet Plane." The truth is we will probably both cry.

I know I'm only going to be gone for a week, and I'm not headed into persecution or any great danger. Leaving my family for a few days is, compared to the first century apostles, a small price to pay in order to help further the gospel. However, it still hurts. God is made strong in our weakness, and we depend on Him in our trials. I'm going to need Him this week.

By the way I appreciate your prayers in these areas:
  • Gospel preached, heard and lived.
  • Safety for the team and our families.
  • Dependence on God.
  • Details we don't even know about that He has under control.
  • Preaching--I'm giving my first international Sermon Sunday night.
Note: Pray wildly, expecting God to do more than we imagine.

What are you believing God to do while we are in El Salvador?

No comments:

Post a Comment