Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Every now and then I come across an excellent book, one that I can't help but share.  Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas is one of those books.  I knew of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's contributions to theology and Christian living, but my interest in him went to a whole new level when I heard about his role in the plot to assassinate Hitler.  I have struggled with the tension between Jesus' teaching to "turn the other cheek" and the Christian's role in defending the oppressed.  Bonhoeffer lived and died in that tension, reaching across racial and national boundaries for the sake of the gospel and humanity.  For these and so many other reasons, he is one of my heroes.

Bonhoeffer is an inspiration, the Bruce Willis of the theology world.  Who would have thought that theology and action go together like Ryan Seacrest and the Golden globes.  Bonhoeffer's life is evidence that theology is about more than knowledge and action is cannot do good without a foundation of truth.

I'm not going to go into a lengthy review of such a great book.  I'm just going to tell you a few things about Bonhoeffer and invite you to learn more about him by reading the book:

  • He lived through WWI and the financial crisis and political disarray that followed in Germany.
  • He was a sought-after theologian, respected at the highest levels.   
  • He cared deeply about Christ, and lived the gospel at all costs.
  • He was a pacifist.
  • He tried to assassinate Hitler to stop the Holocaust.  
Does this sound like a guy you would like to know more about?  I invite you to watch Valkerie and take note of the brief cameo made by a small man with round wire-rimmed glasses.  Take some time to get to know him through this book.  I am inspired by every page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment